Sunday 14 February 2010

All I can do is thank her


Today I have an important letter to write – the most important I have ever written.

But my name and address won’t appear anywhere

Neither will the name of the person to whom I am writing.

I have written many important letters in the past so I should know how to do it

The earliest I remember were to aunts and uncles with thanks for presents

Later there were job applications, letters to lawyers and bank managers

All important in their own way and each preparing me for the letter I write today.

Today I have an important letter to write – the most important I have ever written.

I must write in English then ask someone to translate it into German for my reader.

I must hope that each nuance, each expression is properly reflected

Because my reader must understand exactly how I feel.

But exactly how do I really feel about an unknown person who is giving me the chance of life?

Today I have an important letter to write – the most important I have ever written

In a few word I must explain my gratitude no matter what may happen in the future.

I know I may not live (against infection I will have no chance for many, many months

It may not completely work and lymphoma may return

I may have graft versus host disease) but

What she has given to us for the past nine months is – hope

Today I have an important letter to write – the most important I have ever written

Since knowing of her existence and potential gift my spirits have been lifted

We have had a chance to love and laugh with hopes for the future.

Over the next two weeks we shall both be preparing for day zero

The day when the cells are taken from her and given to me

Today I have an important letter to write – to someone I do not know

Who is going to suffer discomfort and give something of her basic self

To give me a chance of life. She owes me nothing and will receive no recompense

There will be no public recognition for her gift. She gives it freely

She cannot begin to know what she is doing for me – for us

All I can do is thank her.

No comments:

Post a Comment