Tuesday 18 January 2011

The rollercoaster of chemo treatment





It is a bright, sunny day which helps to lift the spirits but it is also very cold.  At least I feel the cold as I usually do during chemo.  I can’t believe I am going to have another session this week.  I am just about to ring BUPA to make sure that everything is in hand for blood counts on Wednesday and chemo on Thursday.

I am able to use the computer although not very accurately at the moment. But it does give me access to the outside world. Talking on the phone is more difficult because my throat is so sore but some of the swelling has gone down which is obviously a good thing as there is never any guarantee that a chemotherapy regime will work, especially at this stage.

I shall find the chemo at home much more difficult without Anna’s reassuring presence.  She always holds my hand while the cannula goes in or doesn’t go in as it is very painful, especially in the back of the hand.  I was very lucky that she was a home so much during my previous treatments and although she phones me every day it is difficult to be so far apart.

Jonathan is coming down this weekend which gives us something to look forward to and good for Raymond as he spends so much time with me.  The following weekend is one of Ray’s courses, so Anna hopes to come down.  It will not only be great to see her, but she can cook while Ray is busy, not that I am eating a great deal at the moment.  I am feeling less sick right now and have been able to keep coffee down but soon I am back on the rollercoaster so we’ll have to see what happens.

I have just had an email from my cousin Susan in Canada.  She is always sympathetic and encouraging.  She was describing a trip she and he friends made last weekend to frozen lakes, children skating, snowmobiles swooshing past and massive icicles.  I wouldn’t like the cold at the moment – 18 degrees, but the picture she painted was so atmospheric.


1 comment:

  1. I also have mantle cell lymphoma and have been following your journey. My prayers and wishes for healing, strength and courage are with you! God Bless You and your family.

    ReplyDelete