Tuesday 20 October 2009

A hectic time


I am a little disappointed that my visit to the Bone Marrow Transplant Clinic has had to be postponed but my consultant is unwell. Actually, in some ways the postponement proved to be a blessing in disguise. After kicking their heels for the last two – three years, our solicitors have at last had to take some real action as the papers are due in Court this week and a national postal strike threatens.

Ray has really been pressurised to sign all the papers but amendments he has been requesting for months either haven’t been made or only partially. It is over three years now since the Biffa lorry ploughed into the stationery line of traffic at 58 m.p.h. When we went to the solicitor’s today the papers weren’t available in their amended form so we shall have to wait until we visit the barrister’s chambers tomorrow to sign them.

We really could have done without all this but we know that 2010 is likely to be a very difficult and challenging year with me entering the bubble and Ray having to cope with the case and no doubt fielding fatuously small offers. Although the lorry driver has been found guilty in a criminal court, it doesn’t stop the other side completing disregarding the hardship he has been through and continues to go through.

In the meantime we are trying to keep a sense of normality. Going for early morning walks to try to make sure I am healthy is all part of our routine now. I have to admit I am anxious to know that my bone marrow donor is still available. I am nervous because a near match was found in America but then he/she moved house and couldn’t be located!

After all the months of trying to locate a good match, I don’t think it will be easy to find a replacement and I still have no idea of my own ethnicity and don’t imagine I shall ever know. Males can trace their ethnicity because they have a y chromosome but females aren’t so lucky in this respect. I read about some people desperately trying to find a match because of their mixed race heritage and it is so sad. I didn’t ever think I would have that problem and I would have no idea which groups to target so let’s hope all goes to plan. After our visit to the barrister’s chambers tomorrow, I hope life can calm down for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment