Thursday 16 July 2009

Coping with illness


 

So far this has seemed to be a very serious blog but not all life, however affected by illness can be without humour for long.  After my first lot of chemo, 6 cycles of CHOP-R, which was quite debilitating, I really enjoyed my remission.

 

I am very, very grateful that I was able to continue teaching during my first cycle of chemo and I owe so much to my very thoughtful headmistress and the kindness of colleagues.  Having a sense of purpose and dealing with pupils with their sense of humour and fun helped enormously.  It also meant that I earned a little respect from the medical personnel who were surprised that I was able to continue in what can be a stressful occupation.  I think that this is part of the reason why I have been offered the possibility of a bone marrow transplant.

 

Other people were so supportive too.  The hospital wig supplier turned out to be the mother of a pupil who made sure I had a really good wig and this was so carefully styled for me by my hairdresser that many people did not realise it was a wig at all.  Hair loss during chemo is very, very depressing.  For my latest two courses of chemo I have actually been able to retain my hair which has been much less ghastly.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment