Friday 18 February 2011

Chemo day




Anna had been hoping to come down this weekend but she really is overloaded with lectures to write, marking and examination setting.  In addition to her normal lectures, she is teaching a special module for Exeter University which means travelling down on a Sunday.  I do hope the workload eases for her as it can be quite stressful but at least we can keep in touch by phone.  I am quite relieved that she has decided to postpone the visit as the hours of journey time are very difficult when she has so much to do.  With all the replacement bus services en route, she is not even able to do her work while travelling.  She tells me she hopes to come down later on this week and having made the decision, she already sounds a lot less stressed which is really pleasing to us.

The nurse came today promptly at 9.00 a.m. which is really useful as the rest of the morning is my own.  Mark plans to come with the chemo at about 2.00 p.m. but as it is the shorter treatment he may have to go to another client first.  I decided to make some red cabbage this morning which can be frozen in foil dishes to go with the meals we have already cooked.  The preparation time is quite brief although it takes some time to cook at the bottom of the AGA.  We’ll have some on Sunday to go with the game Jonathan loves.

I decided that as the chemo is quite tiring and I’d like to wait for Jonathan’s arrival before going to bed, I would take it easy for the rest of the morning, particularly as I didn’t sleep well last night.  It is so difficult to do, because I have always filled my days and enjoyed being busy.  Luckily I have no other cooking to do today as I had already prepared a large lasagne and dessert which I froze the other day.  It means that Jonathan can have something to eat after his journey as he probably won’t get here much before 9.30 p.m.  I do appreciate the time he gives to us.

The chemo is still an unknown quantity and despite having had it before, since blood counts vary from day to day, I never know what my reaction will be.  Last time it was overwhelming tiredness and I rather think that this is a cumulative effect and I must be prepared for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment